At EWH Press, we approach each book project knowing that it will be unique, just as each author is a unique person with his or her own special life circumstances and special message to convey. OUR WAY OF DOING BUSINESS reflects our author-centered, collaborative philosophy, and our FINANCIAL MODEL is designed for mutual success.
OUR WAY OF DOING BUSINESS
It starts when you first contact us to discuss your book. After spending time getting to know each other, we often end up discussing any questions you may have about the sometimes confusing world of book publishing. Finally, we talk about whether EWH Press is a fit for your unique book project.
Throughout the process of writing, editing, designing, publishing and marketing your book, we conduct numerous personalized discussions with our authors, usually by telephone. Especially during the writing/editing phase, we make ourselves available during business hours for a phone call whenever you need to talk about a particular issue regarding your manuscript.
Although we fall into the ‘self-publishing’ sector of the publishing world, we prefer to call ourselves ‘co-publishers’. We enjoy providing editorial input and other collaborative advice to help our authors achieve their vision and goals—including, for example: 1) manuscript content, 2) manuscript organization, 3) paragraph and sentence level editing, 4) interior design, 5) cover design, 6) identification of target audience, 7) sales and distribution objectives, and 8) marketing strategies. (See Services)
OUR FINANCIAL MODEL
At EWH Press our financial model is designed around a ‘win-win’ philosophy, and we place a high value on transparency and full disclosure. Please refer to our Contract for more detail.
Here are some of the author-centered features of our approach:
- We offer our authors a refund of their up-front investment for select publisher services. (See Services) This refund will be issued if within two years of publication, your book sells enough copies such that accumulated publisher royalties total twice (2x) the value of the up-front investment. Publisher services that do not qualify for a refund include those that are essentially ‘pass-through’ services, such as various printer services like set-up fees. (See Contract, Attachment A)
- The author royalty on book sales is always higher than the EWH Press royalty. Initially, the author royalty is 60% of the net profit from each sale, regardless of the sales/distribution channel that generates a book purchase.
- The author royalty increases over time. For the first two years after publication, the author royalty is 60% of net profit. In year three after publication, the author royalty increases to 65% of net profit. In year four and thereafter, the author royalty increases to 75% of net profit.
- When the author purchases books from EWH Press, the actual print cost is marked up by the publisher royalty, which is 40% of the difference between the retail price of the book (which the author sets) and the actual print cost. Volume discounts (lower print costs) from the printer are passed through 100% to the author. (See Contract, Attachment B)
- Each distinct publishing service we provide is priced to be highly competitive in the market place. (See Pricing)
- We provide some very important Value-added Publisher Services, including for example, Editing (excluding Proofreading) that are ‘covered’ by the publisher royalty, rather than charging for them up front. In this way, both EWH Press and our authors are incentivized to make each book a success. (See Services – Value-added Publisher Services)